

INDEPENDENT ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING AGENCY

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING

WEDNESDAY, MAY 28TH, 1997

Attendees:

Peter McCart
Tony Pearse
Francois Messier
Red Pedersen
Darrell Beaulieu
Fikret Berkes (via conference call)
Bill Ross (via conference call)

Janice Traynor
Hal Mills

Observers:

Floyd Adlem
Brenda Kuzyk
Lorne Tricoteux
Brian Collins
Annette McRoberts
Steve Matthews
Clem Paul
Terry Janes
Jim Rothwell
Jim Cunningham

Notes:

1. Welcome and Introductions

Tony Pearse

Pete McCart – aquatic environments.

Darrell Beaulieu

Red Pedersen

Francois Messier

Bill Ross

Fikret Berkes

Hal's welcomes all

Red pedersen from Kugluktuk. Trapping, shipping, airline, hotel business. Some years in political scene. Minister of envmt and renewable resources, speaker of the house. Lifelong interest in archaeology. Worked in Greenland working at the museum in archaeology.

Francois Messier: U. of Sask since 1987. Dept. of biology. Population ecology management of wildlife resources. In NWT grizzly, muskox, and wood bison work. Broad interests with game species – the management. Work closely with Cree Algonquin and Innu and Inuit.

Bill Ross: U. of Calgary in envmtl design since 1973 – impact assessment procedures and practice. 5 different EA federal panels. Some work in north but not strong suit. Working with Yukon territory govt. on Alberta Pacific EA panel

Fikret Berkes: U. of Manitoba – some EA teaching. Northern work since mid 70's. James Bay assessment. Worked with Cree. DCI. Also with Wood Buffalo NP to advise on the traditional knowledge content of proposals for bison management. Experience with ecology and hydro related impact assessment and worked in tk areas.

Tony Pearce: southern BC – exploration geologist in 70's. now a consultant as a resource planner. Work with first nations primarily on resource issues. members of the Nishka treaty negotiation team. Worked for Dogrib on water board

Peter McCart: fisheries expert, worked in Alaska, northern Beaufort coast. Effects of impact on fish populations. Most of my work now in Siberia

Darrell Beaulieu: born and raised here. Yk Dene First Nation. 15 years in mining and exploration business. Last 10 years in community – 8th year as chief, involved in various economic, political, environmental issues.

Lorne Tricoteux, Jim Rothwell (president of BHP Diamonds – mine manager in Mexico and N. Australia, working with aboriginal groups on these), Terry Janes, Steven Matthews, Stephen Traynor, Floyd Adlem, Jim Cunningham, Doug Doan (ED of RWED), Brenda Kuzyk, Darren Unrau, Clem Paul, Shannon Begato, Brian Collins, Annette McRobert.

Hal: opening session is to welcome board, introduce them to their task, allow members to make presentations, then move on to recommendations from Implementation Group.

This afternoon work on workplan, staffing. Tomorrow site visit compliments of BHP.
Friday

2. Presentations:

Clem Paul: thanks to GeoNorth. North Salve Metis Alliance somewhat new kids on the block. Involved since some time in January. New type of process – new to the north. Not a first for aboriginal peoples, because being asked to trust and have faith in process. Metis do have trust and faith in process. Wish it every success. We will be watching and anticipating involvement. Judging from resumes and qualifications of people on the board it trust and believe our interest will be looked after. Many board members have experience with working with aboriginal peoples. Have faith you will work to protect environment. Hard to find independent person to this process. Came up with Fikret – never met so can be sure that he is independent.

Jim Cunningham: work for KIA. Involved community of Kugluktuk in this process. Corontation Impact Review Committee. Not only concerned with this project, but the combination of other projects in the Kitikmeot. May bring things like increased infrastructure.. Kugluktuk people are the only downstream people affected by this project. Concerned about this. Through hearings and water board hearings, encouraged BHP to monitor outside of the claim block. Managed to do some of this through water effects monitoring in water licence. Would like more upstream.. Have not concluded our IBA. Some land claims not settled. Nunavut has settled claim. Provisions in claims to protect Inuit harvesting resources. Share Clem's faith and hope. In this new way of doing things. Watchdog role on govt. monitoring. Shift of responsibility to agency. Hope this is a good thing.

Darrell Beaulieu: Rachel could not make it. She was IG member. Wearing two hats. Congratulate her on her work. Her term is up now that the board is being implemented. Further on in our meetings I will be talking about our purpose and how we will be working as a Board, and how we will be taking into consideration how we will do our work.

Terry Janes and Jim Rothwell: agency very important to BHP, want to be as cooperative as possible. Some board members know something about the project, but would like to go over a few things. Like to give handouts

Jim: pleased to be here. emphasis on environmental management and aboriginal concerns in our project. Recently appointed president of BHP Diamonds – operating company for Canada's first diamond mine. BHP as a company is a large international resources company, based in Australia, in a number of resources businesses: steel, petroleum, minerals group in two parts: copper and minerals group (many commodities, iron ore, coal, manganese, and now diamonds). May be appropriate at some later time for board to come to other sites to see how we have handled things in other parts of the world. Want to make project one we can all be proud of – environmental aspects and other operating approaches. Operate in 30 companies – global company – have to have commitment to sound environmental management. High performance in environmental

area is one key to having success. Have environmental policy. At every board meeting have environmental committee that meets, international auditing for environmental performance, and some external performance. Strong commitment from us to work cooperatively and constructively with board. Some experience with this as part of Island Copper in BC. Our relationships with that group was very constructive. Look forward to same thing here. Board can advise and enhance what we are doing. Openness, and transparency. – good for developing public trust. Tried to have that open approach throughout EA process. Like to continue with this.

Terry: in package is environmental policy, summary of EA process, EIS summary, panel recommendations, BHP diamonds organizational chart – reporting to Jim R. is Jim Excel who will be putting on a presentation for group tomorrow. Board members are outstanding group. Very, very pleased. Hopeful that BHP will be able to provide info for you to do job. Review Process: started in early 94, Dec. 94 appointment of review panel. This was the first non-uranium mining project to panel. Thorough panel, 29 well thought out recommendations. Many recommendations for government. Many included in environmental agreement. Final signing of EA on Jan 7th. Part of process was this agency. Similar experience with Island Copper in BC – 25 years experience. Good idea for this project partly as a way of building trust. We proposed this first. Island Copper – members of that agency in package – 5 of which were for 25 years. I have talked with them and they would be willing to talk to you. I make the offer to arrange for them to come and talk with you. This agency has additional function. Island copper was mostly technical. This agency also has community involvement. This agency has mandate to communicate with people affected by the project and provide watchdog role for communities. So Island Copper model plus. Many of people on organizational chart you will meet tomorrow. Up to you how agency interacts with BHP. Expect that environmental manager, John Wittemann or project manager Jim Excel will be contact. Expect we could be available to attend your meetings and work closely with you. IG have things up and running. Recommendations – BHP is supportive of them. Some disagreement in IG on permanent staffing level – we saw one person versus two people. Our recommendation is that agency proceeds slowly until sure of requirement of the people. See what the need of the agency is. Decisions and recommendations of IG are recommendations. Idea was that once directors are appointed, to be truly independent you can do what you think best. Have a chance to talk with us on site visit. I pass torch on to John Wittemann. Wish everyone well.

Francois: referred to EARP process, and agency. Any documentation on water board?

Terry: yes, something on process. We would like to supply complete documentation for library. Submissions, transcripts, etc. Leave it up to the directors to decide if they each want a copy of all that or keep one in the library.

Doug Doan and Steve Matthews:

Doug: pleased to attend. Extend special welcome to all members. Active in participation. Landmark agency – first time such an agency has been established. Impressed with qualifications of board. Expertise invaluable in reviewing plans during

operation. Judiciousness and thought put into selection of board members. Wish members success in endeavours.

Steve: doing EA in NWT for 15 years. See very few of these large scale projects. tried to emphasize at panel that at the end of the hearings the work begins. Agency has unique contribution to make to ea work. Ensure that appropriate mitigation and monitoring put into place. Look forward to working with you.

Lorne Tricoteux: good morning. Appreciate opportunity to introduce ourselves to Board. Congratulations on appointments to agency. Concept of independent ema new to the north. Taken hard work and goodwill to get this point. Take same level of work and transparency to continue this. Helpful to give you a brief overview of DIAND's regulatory responsibilities. Management of crown lands, renewable resources, rehabilitation of environment. DIAND has regulatory responsibilities with BHP: land lease, minerals lease, EA, water licence, ongoing compliance and enforcement (inspection function), and ongoing assessment and management. Extensive responsibilities. Will require consultations with a number of organizations, not the least of which is this agency. David Livingstone will be senior management rep for DIAND. Brenda and others will be involved. Our door is open and we are willing to help at any time. Lot of info for board to deal with. Appreciate sitting down with Board to discuss our responsibilities. At your convenience.

Floyd: I am responsible for land administration and enforcement of regulatory instruments. (overheads)

Brenda: provide info to Board on MVRMA, protected areas strategy, WKSS. our role for EA (overheads)

Shannon: (overheads)

Lorne: one piece of business to transact with the Board, sign off on providing our share of the operations of the agency for the agency. Once the Chair is selected we will do this.

Hal: Friday?

Lorne: yes if the Board agrees.

Ted: explore what happened during the BHP circus. In negotiating EA, trying to involve a process that we would be involved in. The minister set up the agency. The agency will try to reflect the aboriginal effort towards EA. All aboriginal groups had concerns that we wanted to ensure were addressed. The agency independent and important it was set up this way. From time to time board will be travelling to Dogrib communities. Need for and independent review of how BGO conducting environmental activities. Major point. BHP will be travelling to communities. But report from this Agency that communities will feel more comfortable. Tied to that is that agency will have a lot of activists to community, describe activities of BHP, provide assurances that BHP is meeting regulations, government is carrying out their regulations. Concerns that governments may not do their job adequately, due to cutbacks. E.g. DFO not at water board hearings. Agency should ensure government does their job. Communication with communities – can't emphasize enough. Don't hear what is going on. Don't have anyone working with BHP on environmental side to date, so that rely on agency. IBA has coordinator – she has job to coordinate concerns. She will be link between BHP and Dogrib communities in trying to address some of the concerns. Hope you utilize her services in info she gets in

travelling to communities. Dogrib council will instruct her to communicate with agency. Violette Camsell- Blondin. Encourage you to utilize her services. If travel being considered to communities, please inform us so we can be prepared to provide assistance. Thank you.

Francois Messier: communicate with community. What do you see as appropriate frequency of physically being there, public meetings.

Ted: contact activities with Dogrib. Not recommended to come if chief and council not present. Contact the office for dates and times if you want to come. Schedules about 3 months in advance. Logistics can be made directly with communities. More meetings at early stages beneficial because lots of plans from BHP put out. Number of plans due on June so communities would like opportunity to reflect on these plans. Dogrib concerned with cumulative effect. Federal government not providing enough money to deal with all these plans. Once they have a broad picture, can be lessened. Have to point out that we are involved in a lot of activities so hard to determine when all chiefs in time.

Hal: long coffee break to allow people to chat

Bill Ross: advice from members valuable. We have big responsibility, bad news and good news. Good that we have a good role, bad news that it will be hard work. Impressed by other board members. Impressed with other board members. Look forward to working with the members making presentations. One reason I was interested in being on agency was that agency was set up in accordance with recommendations in a book I did for the UN. Need support of members and encouraged by willingness.

Fikret: thank you. See you Friday, and look forward to meeting Clem and all of you.

Hal: half hour coffee break

Coffee Break:

3. Status Report

Hal – (from status report in binder)

Discussion on workplan and staffing:

Pete: may have to decide by doing

Red: depend on accessibility of Chair, as well

Pete: one person would have to be superman to be able to do all technical review.

Technical review of the information is our job. Can't hire someone to be competent to assess this from all perspectives. That's our job.

Red: yes, but don't keep this to ourselves. Communicate this to the people.

Pete: not a bad idea to talk to people on other Board from Island Copper

Tony: that board was different animal than this one. May be helpful but different.

Wasn't independent.

Darrell: orientation session to look at all the aspects of what we have to, maybe find out about Island Copper board.

Red: number of staffing. Proceed to screen applicants to see if adequate. If so, then hire ED, form a workplan. Get input from ED whether a second person required.

Pete: hire someone, find out what workplan is. Have to get going, lots of work to do.

Tony: lets get on with getting information from Hal.

Hal: agency set up as society.

Francois: members are the seven agencies, and we are board of directors. Do we meet together?

Hal: yes at AGM. Independent agency, you work independently, but member who appointed you can appoint someone else at any time.

4. Presentation of Recommendations

Workplan

Staffing

Lunch Break until 1:30 pm

Francois: who decided to use ED. Term may be better would be Executive secretary. They may be central node for communication between board and communities, BHP, etc. Not an expert necessarily.

Tony: come back to that question when we discuss staffing

Darrell: looking for admin skills

Francois: staff person should have good knowledge of environmental processes and monitoring, as well.

Darrell: but budget is flexible enough so that if help needed at admin level can do that. But person will want to know our expectations as well.

Francois: some consensus that hiring of one person it for now and then see how it goes.

Tony: comes down to what we want this person – what the role will be. Potential to do something very creative in terms of environmental monitoring in international sense. We can design a new universe for environmental monitoring. Canada has been beseiged with requests internationally to look at Canada's enviornmental monitoring. Have a chance to move EM into new quantum level. So ED has to be a key person. Not only communication role, but technical knowledge so they can read material and make recommendations to us, good administrator. Concerned that it was only advertised locally. Ad in globe and mail to cast a wider net. Chance to attract some very stellar person. They may be in the applicants – don't know. The term ED may be a beacon to attract the type of person we want to attract; Exec. Secretary may not attract same person.

Francois: will this person provide in depth analysis of material.

Tony: supposed to be a working board. But person should have ability to confer with us and make recommendations to us.

Hal: person should know enough about subject matter to bring it to your attention and work with you. Helpful to have someone with some general knowledge of the area.

Red: most important thing will be a person who will take direction from the Board and not try to direct the Board. Rather a specialist, need a strong administrator

Pete: be careful of hiring a generalist – need someone that has a hard background yet can generalize beyond that. Want someone with enough technical background who can judge BS. Someone who knows how technical people think so they know who to farm it out to. Stay away from getting someone with totally general background.

Francois: my idea is to get someone who knows processes. To advise board.

Darrell: person should have common sense enough to realize where a technical expert required, and the type of person required. May have a list of people to work with. As long as things are clear, it would be OK; these plans are based on something. Should not be focussed on one specific discipline. We have the technical expertise here (Board).

Pete: all sorts of process people – DIAND. Don't care if what BHP conforms to Acts and regulations and process – we want to watch the impact. Want to look at the long term impacts. Want to know long term trends. Set up a system – BHP should – to show us the long term impacts, and the much more difficult question of what is the cumulative impacts. Better off to have someone with technical proficiency in some discipline than to have someone that has some preconceived notion of ea process.

Tony: You Peter, have experience with environmental monitoring. I think Francois was saying that to the extent that someone has technical expertise, it should be in environmental monitoring. The monitoring process.

Pete: when we find this person they will jump out.

Tony: between now and Friday morning – lets look at package, and talk about it then.

Hal: page 17, a report to IG my screening indicates that these people have not much environmental fieldwork and monitoring.

Tony: 9 of the 10 have good experience with administration?

Hal: yes.

Pete: is most with government or industry?

Hal: or aboriginal orgs. A mixture of the three. I think its borderline to go ahead with interviews.

Francois: not date set when the hiring should be done by to applicants?

Hal: no. deserve something in writing.

Office Space

Hal: tons available.

Francois: option # 4 may be best. For negotiating a deal for term, has any direction been given.

Hal: if you are willing to sign a 5 year lease may get a better deal.

Tony: get ED person first. Then get them to look around and find a space.

Pete: difficult to decide space if enough until get staff.

Hal: I think you need to get space on one hand, on the other hand be nice to wait until have an ED.

Francois: time required for WKSS was over 1 year to get set up. Created negative impression. We have some idea what it should look like. If we get it now it gives the impression we are ready to work.

Pete: agree want to get working.

Francois: can we go check out Precambrian over lunch on Friday? Need a third person to be liason between agency an building owners. Neutral person for negotiaons for terms and conditions for lease. Go through an agent.

Pete: yes. I have no idea who signs cheques right now.

Darrell: also the old panel office. Can we also visit it? Panda centre probably will have space.

Hal: Red could negotiate lease? I'll set up to see those two buildings after lunch on Friday.

Financial Management:

Darrell: lots of bookeeping firms available. Some of the basic bills that have to be paid, arrangement can be made with bank. For payroll, courier services can be used to send cheques down to be signed.

Francois: all above board if it is done by bookeeper.

Pete: make sure bookeeper and accountant use same program.

Darrell: second admin support person can do some of these things.

Pete: need to talk about it.

Budget:

Pete: how do we charge? Per hour? Travel time included?

Red: insurance charge too high.

Francois: 4 community visits too much.

Tony: hearing what Clem said about trust and Ted's encouragement about getting into communities. Dogrib communities did not trust BHP reps. BHP balked at environmental protection stuff in IBA. As environmental agreement being set up Dogrib could see that some of things happening, so they could back off on the IBA. Aboriginal peoples will trust us to come to them and tell them what is happening.

Darrell: Tony hit it will. Have to be clear communications so people understand what you are doing. Trust is a big thing up here. Good to go out and meet these people.

Francois: communications OK. But how many times per years should we go there to the community.

Darrell: coordiantors within community to organize visits. Right off the bat get out there. Set out our tasks clearly. That's part of the job.

Red: directors not supposed to be representative of whoever appointed them, but expect I wuld be asked by KIA to report to them at their meeting.

Tony: general assemblies this summer. Make sense to have individual go to those meetings to address assemblies and let them know what board is about.

Hal: you have quite a low budget. It was working backwards from the amount to the work. Quite a low budget for thw work you have to do.

Darrell: some reps from regions might come to meeting.

Pete: I think operations expenses are too high.

Red: I agree.

Pete: I think startup costs could be kept lower. Don't want to have to go back to BHP for more money. One of the directors will be secretary-treasurer and should keep a tight line on these expenses.

Darrell: salary for director - is it reasonable.

Red: yes. By GNWT standards it is low.

Pete: the ad is a wish list. Can't get a person who fills all of these things. If I was to be hired, I would want a person who was a secretary, and hire other experts. If this person is the great communicator, don't need a communications person. Have to decide that what we want to do is assess the technical merit of what BHP is doing. If we don't get enough money to do this, spend too much on office, then it won't work.

Darrell: person should be task-oriented to the Board so they can do their work. One is the communications/understanding. The other person may be office/phone administrations and if they can do bookkeeping all the better.

Tony: what was the point under the bullet to review and advise on goals and objectives?

Hal: person will have to attend meeting to pass on agency's view.

Tony: and the second bullet to review, evaluate and report on the results of these plans and programs?

Hal: similar.

Francois: detailed review of documents by us.

Hal: what is chair person going to do between meetings.

Pete: need some person looking in on the Exec. Dir. to make sure they are doing good.

Tony: looking for someone who can integrate what we have to say.

Coffee Break:

Honorarium:

Francois: some of us have overhead, some don't, so wouldn't be bad to have two rates.

Darrell: write each of the Implementation Group members to thank them.

Staffing:

Tony: should we work wout what we see as the terms of reference for the ED?

Yes.

Tony: except for two first bullets, do we agree?

Pete: who does this person report to.

Red: should be absolutely clear that this person works under our direction, and achieves those things listed in the ad under our direction.

Hal: person needs to work on your direction, but can take responsibility to go with that, and not come back to the board for every small detail.

Francois: this person is not directing things.

Tony: this person manages the day to day operations.

It will not be director.

Executive officer, assistant, manger.

Darrell: OK, but the second person we are talking about, is the person to do copying, answering phone, etc.

Francois: or can farm this out. This I prefer.

Tony: going to have to be lean and mean. Credibilitiy comes from us able to do solid work, technically, so have to be careful on spending on overhead.

Pete: secretary-treasurer has to keep a lid on this.

Workplan:

Tony: deadlines for reviewing these documents?

Janice: I'll check.

Tony: I think the water effects plan is deficient. If this is a proposal for a monitoring program, then we don't have it. Some of these things may show up in environmental monitoring plan when it is prepared, but from the water board's point of view, it is not one.

Pete: should have things like sampling methods, statitstical analysis, techniques.

Tony: missing the heart of the water effects program as listed in the licence: section J 3.a) iv).

Francois: suggest all board members read licence, BHP's program and sum up all our comments since it is urgent. In other cases we can go with primary reader to review this.

Red: has the technical advisory committee met and provided comments to water board?

Tony: can those of us who want to get our comments to you, Peter, do so and you can review our comments, and right the report.

Comments by end of next week: signed off by chair.

Tony: spill contingency plan for first year and a half, my feeling it is not part of monitoring so we don't need to look at it.

Francois: maybe appropriate to set one reader for this just to take a look? Maybe Bill should take a look.

Pete: some monitoring in this – I can take a look at it

Tony: so Bill take a look?

Pete: may want to go beyond standard for the industry.

Francois: spill contingency plan. There are standards of the industry.

Pete: appendix E lays out how they will monitor for the affects of an oil spill. I have done this.

Tony: so you can take a look at this Peter?

Tony: construction phase management plan. One document that we should all have a look at?

Pete: fishing management

Francois: caribou management.

Tony: this has equal measures of water and wildlife. Can peter and Francois take lead in tandem on this. All of us can look at it, one of you can pull it together.

Francois: can we always have one person review documents that is not a technical person? So have a balanced view.

Red: under traffic management. What is a significant number of caribou on road.

Francois: I will take lead, but look for comments from Pete and Red.

Tony: in the future, how will we handle meetings? Are the open to public? May be applicable for someone from each of the first nations to come to meetings and shadow, observe what goes on at a technical board like this one. At no expense to board. Learning about this stuff.

Francois: support meetings of board is open. Other people can come as observers. Discussion, decisions, etc., be taken by board only.

Tony: comments on all by end of next meeting.

Red: required reading for everyone is the water licence.

Hal: may want to think about communications with media. Perhaps want to name spokesperson, perhaps chair, and perhaps want a press release.

Tony: can we all speak, or should we always refer to the spokesperson.

Red: I would feel better if we could all speak.

Francois: yes

Pete: yes, especially in our areas of expertise.

Pete: I think we have to come down hard on at the beginning and get attention.

Tony: want to wrap our head around role of TK studies.

Friday, 30 May 1997

Travel expenses:

Meal rates: GNWT rates - \$56.25 per day

Private car: 0.345 per kilometre

Phone and Fax: expenses charged to Agency

Submit invoice for days of work at home plus Board meetings

For travel time?

Have a claim form to fill out. (Get GNWT form).

Find out from accounting firm how we deal with GST – do Board members charge GST.

Bill (re staff and work):

Title of ED OK

Working relationship more important

Individual will work with our direction and in a sense we will work for them

Also want to know how we are going to do a work

Tony (provides update to Bill re discussions on Wed. re staff and work)

Bill: how do we reach a collective decision? Thought more than one of us do a review

Tony: we need to discuss the report before it goes out

Francois: for comprehensive documents all should read, but have a lead person. For more straight forward documents then can have two readers – one technical and one non-technical. Products would be our report to 3 parties – technical report, in public realm but worded technically. And our Annual report in a public form for wide circulation.

Bill: how as a Board how do we ensure our reviews are consistent?

Lead people:

Pete on WEMP

Bill on contingency plan

Francois on construction phase management plan

Tony: agree with Bill that we need consistent reporting

Francois: every document will come out with name of Board.

Bill: agree

Red: duties not put in by us. We can still write a different job description for ED, despite what job ad says.

Tony: in addition to reports Francois talked about, maybe a third type. From time to time may want to issue an advisory report – not in response to any emergency, but just to something

Janice: update on status of plans submitted to Agency.

Tony: with island copper, BHP wrote report and committee signed off after providing comments. I don't think we will issue negotiated reports.

Bill: if for instance, the WEMP – we want to push more fully, we might decide that we want to hold a meeting with BHP and the public, Aboriginal peoples to work out what we want the plan to see. But I don't want to see any backroom meetings. Should set policy.

Francois: not only watching BHP but also regulatory agencies. Our comments have to come after documents tabled to regulatory agency.

Bill: can imagine situations where we want to be more proactive.

Fikret: I like Bill's idea, that if we meet with one group we should meet with them all, but logistically it would be difficult.

Bill: have to discuss how we are to interact with people that appointed us.

Fikret: if BHP wants to meet with us, then we could suggest that they organize a workshop that has everyone.

Francois: responsible for reporting to the general public

Pete: need to discuss what our policies and processes would be – talked about doing this at a separate meeting. We need to ensure all parties know these.

Red: carry out our mandate – includes public watchdog. Advice to BHP that thinks go right but have to draw line and not be seen, as Island Copper, as being co-authors of plans they put out. Not a watchdog if that happens.

Pete: studies for fisheries authorization – not yet approved, yet they have begun Koala lake work.

Bill: think shortly should have a draft plan for communication circulated to members for comment – probably after ED is selected.

Selection of Officers:

Tony: can we go over the duties of the Chairperson.

Hal: to what extent do you want the Chairperson to be CEO? Run meetings but how much do you want that person to run things between meeting, or can that be done by ED

Red: do we want the Chairperson, in absence of board, act as spokesperson for Board. If yes, depend on who we appoint.

Fikret: to what extent do we want to be a visible public body, compared to a technical group.

Tony: need to have sound technical work as priority, but have strong public presence. Chair initially have to take active role, at least until ED hired. E.g. communications. I think Chair is correct person to do communications.

Bill: I agree. If someone looking for spokesperson, the Chair will be the first person they will look too.

Fikret: I think ED will be person on the spot. I don't think Chair will have much to do.

Francois: I think it depends on the question.

Tony: evolutionary process. Up front we will have to do more until ED grows into job.

Pete: don't want to prohibit Chair from talking to press. Appropriate at first until ED. They should know who to farm out technical questions to.

Bill: if something major comes up, then entire Board should be contacted. If more than ED can handle, then go to Chair.

Darrell: for time being, until we have manager for the Society. Always go back to purpose we are here for and make sure we do our jobs in responding to plans. At same time, since group quite technical, basis for how we do work important. Some sort of measuring stick needed. Perceptin from public, in relation to a particular initiative – what is your view or position on how proponent doing job and how government doing tis job. Not to get involved in the two processes, but to watch them.

Felix: from perspective of media, need to be responsible for reviewing these things. In terms of what Agency is doing – need to be upfront and arm's length from BHP and governments, and accountable to public. Public through Chair should be given information. People want to see this information – so people can for themselves determine whether proper environmental protection - people will verify that. Agency should have this independence. People have concerns, but feel helpless. Need to address these. Agency young, people with different opinions here. Through Chair channel these internal problems and communicate to public. Roles and responsibilities of people need to be clear (staff). Otherwise confusion. Have to be clear of job to be done.

Francois: move motion that person appointed as Chairperson be Red.

Fikret: seconded

Red: on condition that I will not be technical spokesperson, I accept.

Fikret: although usual spokesperson will be ED, I accept that Chair will have a role. I think Mr. Petersen is around here and would be a good Chair. Understand the political sensitivities

Peter: agree. Has been speaker of NWT leg assembly.

Tony: agree.

Felix: add that Red has also been Minister of Ren Res with territorial government and now we is independent. Experience with situation up here and provide good directorship to Agency.

Bill: don't know Red. But conversations on phone has been good. The fact that he is not a going to be technical spokesperson

Darrell: no problem

Fikret: should have opportunity to see of any other nominees.

Hal: any other nominees?

No.

Hal: do we have consensus on the motion?

Yes.

Hal: hand over to the new Chiar

Red: thank you. Help from Hal. Need vice-chair

Darrell: nominate Tony Pearse.

Fancois: seconded

Tony: agreeable

Red: further nominations?

Francois: as Tony involved in water things, and lots to deal with in terms of water, I support this.

Fikret: support this nomination

Bill: no reservations

Pete: no problems

Red: consensus that Tony Pearse is vice-chiar. Secretary- Treasurer:

Pete: nominate Francois as has interest in finacnial details and not yet appointed an appointee from BHP.

Tony: seconded

Fikret: concern over seal and signing cheques.

Darrell: only time seal only used is to do amendments to bylaws.

Hal: signing cheques not an insurmountable problem.

Red: consensus that Francois is secretary-treasurer

Bill: three executive members be signing authorities for now, and then ED added when hired. All members however, still responsible for financial affairs of Agency.

Tony: one signer from Yellowknife.

Francois: support Chair as signatory, ED will be other when appointed.

Tony: if we have appointee from Akaitcho that lives here?

Francois: mid term, long term, ED, Chair because financial responsibility with Agency.

Tony: but logistics?

Francois: so Darrell one of three signing authority

Darrell: no problem

Interim Arrangements:

Red: good solution. Should also decide how to carry on from here. No ED and can't make decision today. Need interim arrangements.

Hal: explains our arrangements with Implementation Group since April 1st. Willing to do option 2. We'll leave the room.

Next Meeting: end of June, week of June 23rd.

In conjunction with Annual General Assembly of Treaty 8.

Francois: some items for agenda:

Meeting with DIAND

Meeting with BHP

Meeting with GNWT

Final discussion on three documents

Update on TK study from Chris

Initial policy statements for Agency

Fikret: Can't be here on Wed. May 25

Thursday and Friday May 26-27, with visit on May 28th for site visit for anyone who may be going.

Red: ask BHP to have general offer to host any member of the Board who may be in town.

Francois: issue of honorarium. Propose of single honorarium for everyone, but additon for those who need to pay overhead. Excludes GST charges for purposes discussion.

Bill: limit on this. Different ways of calculating this. I don't need it.

Fikret: puzzled – and they can vary widely. If someone has home office expenses, these are expenses deductible are they not.

Tony: only a portion.

Francois: fixed rate for people to tack on for overhead. Suggest \$400 as base with overhead being something like 20-25%.

Pete: this is much less than I would bill a client. I think it is too low. Prepared to follow suggestion of IG and take \$600 plus percentage above that.

Francois: disagree. More open to discuss level of overhead than basic honorarium.

Bill: reasonable to have some allowance for overhead with 25% on \$600 is OK.

Pete: don't need huge amount of overhead so can cut back on that. I would personably be making a large subsidy at \$400 plus 25%.

Bill: I agree – I will provide some subsidy but there are limits.

Francois: comfortable with \$600.

Bill: yes

Fikret: doing a public service so not expecting huge salary. I don't use my university office when I am doing this work. So I think it should be one level for everyone. \$600 seems reasonable.

Pete: prefer \$600 plus 25% for overhead.

Red: talked about expenses – phone calls, faxes, etc. two alternatives, agree on fiaxed percentage or charge actual amount.

Pete: overhead is cost of having phone, xerox, heating, computers, mortgage, insurance.

Bill: concur there are legitimate overhead fees. Not offended if others charge a modest amount, but I won't.

Darrell: Hal, involved with discussion with IG. Share discussion with implementatin group.

Hal: looked at options: \$300, 450, and 600. Did not discuss surcharges. Don't think it occurred to them. Decided that with level of expertise they expected, that the high figure should be what they went with. Higher than most board's in NWT in general. More like \$250-300. But the IG thought higher rate appropriate.

Tony: territorial water board

Hal: for ordinary rates similar to what I mentioned earlier, with Chair getting somewhat higher.

Francois: public criticism?

Hal: wouldn't expect public criticism with explanation. Other people on other boards may discuss this.

Darrell: independent of universities, or first nations organizations we work for. As individuals we are selected to be on this board. Trying to read the minds of the Implementation Group so \$600 is OK. If publicly declared at \$600 then that is it. Doesn't include overhead.

Francois: overhead can be charged as a justifiable expense.

Darrell: what it really means is about \$150 for the members.

Francois: only if you are incurring those charges.

Darrell: then invoice for them.

Red: are you comfortable to justify \$600 honorarium at home?

Bill: how level does our public for decision on honorarium needs to be. In the past I have stated that receive an amount for my time plus expenses. Never divulged amount. Will our decision be public?

Hal: I think values available to those who request them.

Felix: the rate of \$600 is high. Rate suggested by IG that were thinking in terms of what could be done at this level. For the purposes of \$600 this rate can be applied. Additional work to be done in communities that expertise of these people can be used on projects in communities. Could spend many hours on this discussion. Set rate for now \$600, and review it a later time. Take this recommendation for now.

Red: consensus that we accept consensus of IG. Can be reviewed at subsequent meetings. Did we agree on 25% level on overhead.

Yes.

Bill: Francois will look into applicability of GST.

Agreed

Lunch

Tour of Office Space:
Precambrian – 8th Floor
NWT Communications Bldg.

How much time available
Space available
Conflict of interest
Skills – communications, accounting

Looking at term of about 6 mos.
GeoNorth put together proposal
Package
Divide up our time, how much secretarial, etc.
Review in 2-3 mos.
Keep track of time for first few months; amount of time on which tasks.

Pete: need to contact everyone to say thanks and will be delay

Tony: explain what we have decided to have someone do coordinating role.

Fikret: wait until we have GeoNorth costs, then write to these people and say thank you and we have made different agreement.

Francois: expression of gratitude as well.

Pete: GeoNorth draft and letter and send it out for our approval.

Red: mention that founding meeting of Board has now taken place.

Signing Authority:
Francois
Red
Hal
Akaitcho Treaty 8 appointee
(any two of)

Darrell: develop procedures and policies – make them simple. \$5,000 to have some authority for computers etc.

Francois: won't be bookkeeper who signs. As long as end of month I can review all expenditures

Pete: you as S-T should make up protocols.

Office Space:

Francois: recommend office space rented right away. Maximum that someone is there ½ day for staffing. For computers and so on, is it possible to have someone from GeoNorth working there.

Pete: perception

Darrell: have companies in town that rent space for you – an agent.

Tony: I like communications bldg space. More expensive, but at end of two years can negotiate budget.

Pete: loathe to get 5 year lease unless get escape clause.

Hal: try to get 5 year price for a two year price.

Red: option for 3 year more years.

Tony: option for 5 years.

Francois: but no monetary obligations

Darrell: comfortable with that space

Budget:

Accepted budget until review

Costing out computers and faxes

Things to do:

Workplan

Communications plan

Lets discuss workplan

Our proposal – Tony and Red

Letter to all applicants – to all

Review of 3 documents – comments by Monday June 9

Kimberlite and Tailings studies:

Tony: permission from Board to get consultant to spend one day reviewing these

Agreed

Groundwater:

All look at and comments next meeting

Office – Francois and Hal work on this, Francois: operational office by July 1st.