The Independent Environmental Monitoring Agency is a public watchdog for environmental management of Dominion Diamond Ekati ULC’s Ekati Diamond Mine, located approximately 310 km northeast of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories.
The Agency was established under the Environmental Agreement negotiated in 1997 by the company and Aboriginal, federal and territorial governments. The Environmental Agreement is a legal instrument to ensure Dominion Diamond Ekati ULC, the Government of Canada and the Government of the Northwest Territories respect and protect land, water, wildlife and the land-based way of life essential to the well-being of Aboriginal Peoples.
Community Information Sessions – Interim Closure & Reclamation Plan (V. 3.0)
IEMA will be hosting community information sessions about Dominion Diamond Ekati ULC’s proposed Interim Closure & Reclamation Plan. How a mine closes is very important for the future of the land, water, and wildlife in the area. If you have questions or concerns about the plan, come out to our info sessions! Otherwise, feel free to contact our office: 867-669-9141
- Tuesday, January 8, 2019 – 6pm: Whatì – Culture Centre
- Thursday, January 10, 2019 – 6pm: Dettah – Chief Drygeese Conference Centre
- Monday, January 14, 2019 – 6pm: Behchoko – Community Hall
- Monday, January 28, 2019 – 5:30pm: Kugluktuk – Community Hall
- Tuesday, February 5, 2019 – 5:30pm: Lutsel K’e – Community Hall